Custom Search

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Health and the President

Okay people, two things have been bothering me lately.

I've never been too concerned about my health. Sure, I understand that I'm a little overweight, but that has only bothered my vanity. I was never worried about weight-related health issues.

Until recently that is.

In the last year, I've gained probably 20 pounds. I found out that my grandpa on my mom's side has had heart problems. I never really saw him in the hospital, so I never knew much about it. And obviously, I wasn't concerned for my own well-being. But also, my dad discovered that he is diabetic. And his dad had several heart attacks before dying of one when my dad was a teenager. He was also a diabetic.

Finding out my Dad is diabetic really hit me hard. I never expected it. And now, considering his dad's history, I worry about him a lot. That's what got me started wondering about me.

What really scared me was last weekend. I was watching a movie with my wife and I got to laughing too hard. Suddenly, I felt an intense pain in my chest. I have never felt that kind of pain before. I have had little chest twinges before, but usually those were chest cramps or indigestion. This was wholly different. I was scared. All I could think about was leaving my wife and kids behind alone. That was terrifying. Sure, I know that they would be okay. But it would devastate my wife. I couldn't do that to her. She depends on me for so much.

Turns out, I strained the cartilage that holds my ribs together in the front. It hurt for 3 days. It still hurts when I get a bad night's sleep or am stressed. But less each time, so I know it's healing.

Even so, it was a huge wake up call. As soon as I qualify for health insurance, I'm going to get a thorough check-up. Including a heart stress test. Truth be told, I haven't taken care of myself healthwise in a while. I haven't had health insurance for a long time. I need to go to a dentist, an eye doctor, an allergy doctor, a skin doctor and a regular doctor. Yikes! I hate doing that stuff. But it still needs to be done.

But that's only the first thing bothering me.

The second is the President. Well, not so much the President, but all of the e-mails I've recieved and comments I have heard about the President...from Christians no less!

Here's what GOD says about the president:
Romans 13:1-7
"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience."

1 Timothy 2:1-4
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

Hebrews 13:17
"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of not advantage to you."

And finally, Philippians 2:14
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the suniverse as you hold out the word of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."

God's word is clear: Honor authority and do not complain. Christians everywhere shouted this at the democrats when Bush was elected twice. But when the chips are down and someone you voted for is not elected, you must still support the President. You may disagree, but keep it to yourself unless you, too, are going into politics. I did not vote for Obama, and I don't like him, but according to God's word, I am required to respect and honor him. I can only pray to God about my disagreements. They are for His ears and no one else's. If you share in talking negatively about the President with anyone other than God, then you are SINNING.

The only time it is permitted to disobey authority is when it goes directly against God's word. But, you may only disobey, not shout about it from the rooftops that brings no honor to your cause. Let any disobedient actions speak for themselves.

That's all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, for so many, many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for exercise & being healthy! I get super excited about such things...maybe we can talk about such great things this weekend! :) Healthy families are a good thing.

    Also - I do love Johnny Lang, and I"ll have to look up the other music as well. Great taste.

    ReplyDelete